16 January 2012

The Question Before Us

From Martin Luther King Jr.'s final speech, April 3, 1968:

That's the question before you tonight.

Not, "If I stop to help the sanitation workers, what will happen to my job?"

Not, "If I stop to help the sanitation workers what will happen to all of the hours that I usually spend in my office every day and every week as pastor?"

The question is not, "If I stop to help this man in need, what will happen to me?"

The question is: "If I do not stop to help the sanitation workers, what will happen to them?"  That is the question.

* * *


* * *

Text and video of MLK Jr.'s "Mountaintop" speech can be found here.

* * *

No comments:

Open A Drawer

Today's 15 minute writing exercise, from The Observation Deck: A Tool Kit for Writers , by Naomi Epel ______________________ I thrust my...