04 October 2011

Not Sure What This Is

We do lots of stuff around here.

We make homemade pasta with friends.


We make cornbread.


We sport some lovely aprons in the process.


We do puzzles.


We write the most adorable stories about girls and dogs and flowers and suns and rainbows.


We weave beads.


Sounds fun, right?  We also watch great movies, do a little Kahn Academy, juggle soccer balls, make an insane amount of art, and read lotsa books.  We are almost finished with our current out loud book, The Thief Lord.

I'm not sure if we ever really do any science.  Or history.  Although, we do watch movies that could be classified as history.  And come to think of it, we did a pretty cool little project about bones, joints, and the skeleton.

The kids and I are getting ready for our first monthly meeting with our "Educational Consultant" at which the kids will need to hand in their monthly work samples in Language Arts, Math, Science and Social Studies.  So it's my monthly round of a little mind game I like to call "Oh My God What Are We Doing I Suck At Homeschooling and My Children Will Be Criminals."

Because we do a lot of stuff...but I don't know what to call it.  And I'm pretty well aware of the stuff we don't do.  Most of the time, I'm fine with that.  But once a month, I have to reconcile the two, the What We Do and the What We Are Supposed To Be Doing.

It's time for the Homeschool Jive!  Join in if you know the steps...

* * *




3 comments:

Homemaker Man said...

It's time to teach the kids the most important skill of all. Bullsh**ing. Almost anything can be art or science if you spin it right.

And I'll Raise You 5 said...

Right on, HM!

Suburban Correspondent said...

Puzzles are math. Cooking is math and science. You've got language arts covered. You just have to get them reading some historical fiction or, if you want straight facts, check out the Mike Venezia books from your local library.

Open A Drawer

Today's 15 minute writing exercise, from The Observation Deck: A Tool Kit for Writers , by Naomi Epel ______________________ I thrust my...