31 July 2008

I'm Raising Brainiacs

Since Shakespeare Camp started on Monday, Sam has been regaling me with all of the details, from the silly theatre games, to the real stage he'll get to act on (last year he was in a gym), to the snacks in the snack dispenser. And he's asked me a bunch of times: "Do you want to sit in the balcony when you watch the performance? It's really cool, and I think you should, and will you? Huh? Will you will you will you? I don't know how you get up there, but maybe you could ask when you drop me off, and don't you want to sit there? Why aren't you excited about sitting there? Don't you think it will be cool? Did you ask the Camp Staff yet? You're going to sit there, aren't you? How are you going to get up there? It's so cool!"

Ack...he couldn't reduce me to a more complete state of incapacity if he jumped up and down on me and whacked me repeatedly with The Complete Works of Shakespeare.

So today, after a long tiring day, Rick and I are lying somewhat comatose on our bed, and Sam is downstairs playing soccer...in our living room...thanks Dad for teaching him that oh-so-enjoyable way to drive mommy to the looney-bin...and all of the sudden he screams out:

"MOM! I FIGURED OUT HOW TO GET TO THE BALCONY!"

Me: "Oh?"

"YEAH! THERE'S THIS DOOR WITH A SIGN ON IT THAT SAYS 'BALCONY'..."

So I guess I'll be sitting on that balcony next Friday afternoon...nothing gets past that kid.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think that gave me heart palpatations! He sounds VERY excited. :-)

Gabriele said...

Can I join you on the balcony? I'd love to see Sam doing Cal Shakes. Guess nostalgia is setting in now that my Shakespeare baby (Andrew) is turning 23. How time flies -- it was just yesterday I was sitting in the balcony watching him!

Open A Drawer

Today's 15 minute writing exercise, from The Observation Deck: A Tool Kit for Writers , by Naomi Epel ______________________ I thrust my...