- NPR. My life would be less than it is without everyone at NPR. Thank you from the bottom of my well-informed heart.
- Coffee. My children would be in danger without coffee. Thank you for keeping me sane, which in turn, keeps them safe.
- Good pillows. Nothing feels better than laying down my weary head to rest each night. I usually sleep with two pillows, but one of them has been missing for weeks. I finally found it in the dolly crib today, and I'm back to pillow bliss tonight.
- Friends who give pie. Every Thanksgiving, some friends of our give us pumpkin pies from Bake Sale Betty. This year, I am especially grateful for these pies because we are not hosting Thanksgiving, and I get to bring the pies to my sister-in-law's house tomorrow, meaning I did. not. bake. or. cook. a. single. thing. I like to cook, and I've enjoyed hosting in the past, but this year? It's a blessing of monumental proportions that I don't have to do a damn thing.
- This blog. Because I get to write about whatever I want, silly, fun, serious, thoughtful, boring, or sentimental, and it's MINE ALL MINE. And I like it when people like what I've written. That's pretty awesome.
- My awesome job. I love my job. I have a job I love, doing things I am good at, learning things that are helping me grow, with people I respect, in a family-friendly environment, for a good cause. See? Awesome.
- My kids. Seriously, yes, even the kids. They are impossible. But I guess that's why I'm grateful, because they show me that the impossible is possible, every single day. Sometimes, that runs more towards the "Is she REALLY going to refuse to put away the Rush Hour game, just to mess with me? Is she REALLY going to take the smallest possible steps between here and the bathroom to brush her teeth, just to see my head spin around on top my neck???" Sometimes, it's more of the heart-catching variety, where I see a child of mine do something good and generous, or I get to the end of the day and realize I did more good than harm (score!), or the questions they ask challenge and stretch me as I try to answer them and then the gift of a great conversation comes my way…all of it seems impossible. All of it happens anyway.
- My husband. Not because he makes delicious pizza, and delicious hot toddies, and awesome old-fashioneds; not because he vacuums like a maniac; not because he makes sure all the doors are locked and lights are off each night. Because he is the other half of me and I know he's mine forever. We are not a fairy-tale husband and wife; we annoy each other greatly pretty frequently and his snoring alone makes me want to rip my ears off my head and serve them to him for breakfast. But he's not going anywhere, and I'm not going anywhere, and I'm grateful that he is my constant.
- My mother and father. Five days ago, we moved my mother into a board and care facility; it was one of the hardest days I've ever had with my parents, one of the hardest they've ever had themselves. I am grateful for the privilege of being present to them both during the past several months of struggle.
- The ability to change the wi-fi password. Because nothing says I love you to my sons like turning off the wi-fi in the middle of an Instagram post so they can get some sleep and keep growing strong and healthy.
27 November 2013
10 Things I Am Grateful For
I have only 16% power left on my laptop and I'm too tired and comfy to get up and find the power cord, so I better rip off a thankful list right quick. And so: