12 July 2011

Storm Before The Calm

A storm is raging in my house today, the storm of cleaning and laundry and trying to make my house a comfortable place to be. The occasion? Usually, the only thing that motivates me to really get this place in shape is the threat of having guests over. This time, the motivation is quite the opposite: starting tomorrow, we will have a kid free home for almost three days. It's not much, but we'll take it, after almost 13 years of non-stop kid care.

I do not want to spend my kid-free time cleaning or doing laundry. Neither do I want to try to relax in a house that needs to cleaned, amid laundry that needs to be done. So, today is the day. The day to make a difference.

So I'm cleaning, and writing haiku, and ignoring Lady E and Little T. Haiku and coffee will get me through to freedom.

* * *

Hard and lousy work
To make home a pleasant place
Let me get there soon.

* * *

Grabby hands bind me,
Keep me from my busy day.
Wait: it's just laundry.

* * *

Small things seems too plain.
Blah, next to NPR talk.
I'm making people.

* * *

You seem my savior.
Then I have too much of you.
Coffee: life, balm, curse.

* * *

Just pick strawberries.
That is your one and only chore.
Two girls: one whole day.

* * *

Keep eyes on the prize.
Fold, tidy, wipe, clear, scour.
The calm is coming.

* * *

1 comment:

nicole said...

anything i can do to help?

Open A Drawer

Today's 15 minute writing exercise, from The Observation Deck: A Tool Kit for Writers , by Naomi Epel ______________________ I thrust my...