06 January 2011

Thank You, Roald


Today, finally, we finished reading aloud Charlie and The Great Glass Elevator.

We started this short book quite awhile ago...and I'm chagrined that I let it go for so long. I wish I could tell you that we have been so busy excelling academically that we just haven't had time for the frivolity of Mr. Wonka, but alas, this would not be true. Instead, our reading together just fell by the wayside, another victim of our chaotic life and my poor planning.

Sometimes, I feel like there is too much going on to make sense of anything.

So imagine my delight, when I arrived at the last page of the book and read the motto that Roald Dahl lived by:

"My candle burns at both ends,
It will not last the night,
But ah my foes and oh my friends
It gives a lovely light."

I am hereby stealing this motto from Mr. Dahl. Today, I will travel through the world with a lovely, crazy, unsustainable but exhilarating light.

* * *

1 comment:

Teacher Mommy said...

I keep meaning to start reading that book aloud to my kids (bio and step) and somehow it never happens. By the end of the day I'm all GO PLAY UPSTAIRS AND LEAVE ME ALONE and so they do and I collapse on the couch and the last thing in my mind is actually choosing to round them up and engage in some lovely reading aloud.

/fail

Open A Drawer

Today's 15 minute writing exercise, from The Observation Deck: A Tool Kit for Writers , by Naomi Epel ______________________ I thrust my...