Tonight, after what was on the whole a pretty good day, I found myself wondering what exactly I had managed to do. I looked at that big ole list, and discovered that I could cross exactly nothing off of it, after waking up 16 hours ago.
That was rather distressing. So I did what compulsive list makers everywhere do: made a to-do list of things I had already done. I made a To-Done list. Here's what I came up with in about 5 minutes; I may have forgotten to include a few things:
- Cleaned out the fridge.
- Cleaned and packed up Katy's tent, so I can return it.
- Vacuumed out one of our living room chairs. That was scary.
- Did 3-4 loads of laundry: folded AND put away.
- Helped the girls with their chicken-caring-duties for our neighbor who is out of town.
- Made potato-zucchini latkes.
- Participated in a 1 hour conference call with the Board of Directors for my new job.
- Worked for 2.5 hours on a grant proposal, also for my new job.
- Took my daughter's lovey-blankey to a seamstress to have it sewn up. Returned at the end of the day to pick it up, so Little T would have it at bedtime.
- Did the graphic design/layout of the first 6 pages of the 2013 Garden Guide booklet.
- Finished a little bit (45 minutes?) of administrative work for a local maintenance gardener I am helping out for the summer.
- Made sure the kids did their daily chores.
- Picked apples from one of our trees -- so yummy!
- Cleaned the kitchen. Twice.
- Dug a sliver out of a child's finger.
- Updated Rick's work calendar and returned a couple work phone calls and emails for our garden design company.
- Went to Staples to buy printer cartridges and highlighters.
I attribute some of this crazed productivity to the three cups of coffee I had this morning and the very large latte I had at 4pm as I started working on my grant proposal. I will weep real tears the day a doctor tells me to cut caffeine out of my diet.
But the sad part of this day is that I will still lay my head on my pillow with more to do than I woke up with. The to do list always grows: I always add more things than I cross off in a given day. It's never enough. Never.
I'm feeling quite reflective about that. Enough for what? Enough to be happy? No...I can be happy without crossing stuff off my to-do list. Enough to have a nice cold beer at the end of the day? Well of course! Enough to put the list away? Um, no. I can be proud of how much I got done today, but it's not enough for me to look forward to tomorrow as a day to relax and not think about crossing things off. If I decide to relax for a day or an afternoon, I do so knowing that I will pay the price of the list getting even longer during the time I spend napping, walking the dog, playing with the kids, or reading a book.
That doth suck.
But I'm still proud of myself for today.
Not least of which for #18: Wrote a blog post.
* * *