A Family Scene

The scene: a minivan in middle America.  And by middle, I really mean on the edge of the country, one earthquake away from beachfront property.

The cast: Mom, Girl #1 (6 years old), Girl #2 (9 years old), and Girl #3 (5 years old.  Doesn't really figure into the story.  Spends the entire scene sucking her thumb.)

Backstory: It's been a long, grumpy day for everyone.  Lots of whining, shrieking, complaining, and yelling.  The kids haven't been all that great either.

____________________________________________


Mom looks in her rearview mirror and sees surly Girl #1 slumping down in her booster seat, definitely not taking advantage of the safety benefits of said booster.


Mom:  "Girl #1!  Sit up straight!"

Girl #1: "No!  I don't want to!  Why should I?"

Mom: "Because it's not safe to sit like that."

Girl #2: "Yeah, you might get hurt if mom smashes into the car in front of us."

Mom: "Sit up!"

Mom sighs deeply and lets her mind wander to a distant, tropical island and a cabana boy or two.  Or three.

Girl #1: "ARGH!  I don't want to!  I don't want anyone to see me!  I don't want anyone to know I'm part of this crazy family!"

Girl #2: "Don't say that."

Girl #1: "I don't want anyone to see me in this crazy car with this crazy family!"

Girl #2:  "Girl #1, no one can tell we are crazy just by looking into our car."

Mom can't decide whether to laugh or cry.


____________________________________________


Comments

Sandy said…
unless of course you are driving the clown car...but it doesn't sound as though there were enough little clowns in the car for that!

Popular Posts