06 September 2007

Looks like it's gonna rain!

Here I dive, into the wonderful world of blogging. Having been inspired by many a mom-blogger out there, here is my contribution to the online world of writing. I have five children. In another month, after three upcoming birthdays, they will be 9, 7, 5, 3, and 1. They are...hmmm...how to describe the little darlings? They are wonderful, exasperating, adorable, brilliant, exceptional, infuriating, exhausting, and time-consuming. So basically, they are just like yours. Over the past nine years, I can't tell you how many times I thought to myself, or had someone say to me: "You should write that down!" This in response to some story or utterance from one of my kids that made me laugh, cry, stop and think, or want to scream. I also can't count the number of times each day I think about how ridiculous parenting and motherhood actually are. By this, I mean I can't quite believe the situations I find myself in, the questions that are put to me (and that somehow need to be answered) by my kids, the lengths I will go to in the name of a child, and a million other difficult to fathom things that are now my life. Being an eternally, if not obviously, hopeful person, I just have to believe that there is some great truth to be gleaned from being a mother. I catch glimpses of this, and I think it has something to do with learning to live with, and even to delight in, massive contradictions. Anyway, the kids do make me laugh, and boy do I need to laugh EVERY DAY.

Here's one: After having taken a very hard-hit soccer ball to the crotch the other day (kicked by his father, no less), my oldest son has been spending quite a bit of time with an ice pack. After one recent session, he was sitting on the couch moaning. Next oldest son asked him if his crotch still hurt, to which he replied: "Nah, my crotch only bothers me when the weather changes." Ha!

Welcome to my blog. I am hoping it helps me save my sanity...which can only make me a better mother.

No comments:

Open A Drawer

Today's 15 minute writing exercise, from The Observation Deck: A Tool Kit for Writers , by Naomi Epel ______________________ I thrust my...