21 June 2011

Bad Attitude: Discuss

On this bright, warm, gorgeous summer morning, on this summer solstice celebration, I am all by myself.

Three kids at art camp. 10-1.
One kid at Vacation Bible Schoool, 9-12:30.
One kid at Vacation Bible School, 9-5.

Which gives me from approximately 10:15-12:15 by myself.

I find myself utterly unable to enjoy it. I am too overwhelmed by the messes, the stresses, the little failures (like the monumental task of finding people shorts this morning), the looming chores, the tasks that I never have time for when the kids are around but which are far too numerous to be tackled in two small hours.

So. Two hours to myself, and all I'm doing is feeling sorry for myself. I can't kick my brain over into that a positive frame of mind, can't see the silver lining, can't enjoy the respite from "Mommy Mommy Mommy."

I am, in short, a fun sucker. (The older kids watched Freaky Friday yesterday after we hiked at Alvarado Park in the brutal heat.) I'm sucking the fun out of my own morning with my grumpy grumpous attitude.

Someone give me a swift kick in the rear: maybe I'll land someplace cheerful.

* * *

3 comments:

Homemaker Man said...

Take a nap. You'll feel guilty. Throw an Our Father in afterward, if it'll help. No guilt for busy moms, please.

And I'll Raise You 5 said...

HM: That is nicest kick in the rear I've ever gotten. And still necessary, three hours after most of the troops have gotten home...

Teacher Mommy said...

I'm still working on that stupid overactive guilt complex thing. Let me know if you ever figure it out.

Open A Drawer

Today's 15 minute writing exercise, from The Observation Deck: A Tool Kit for Writers , by Naomi Epel ______________________ I thrust my...