17 June 2009

Getting and Giving

The children are cleaning their rooms.

Always an adventure. It's been going on for awhile now, and the boys definitely seem to be playing rather than cleaning. They've been asking for a break...I've been countering that they haven't worked hard enough to earn a break.

I just asked Samuel if he thought he was working hard. He gave me a refreshingly honest answer: "I don't think I've been doing my best, but I'm doing OK!"

Me: "OK then, why don't you give me some of your best now."

Him: "WHAT WILL I GET IN RETURN?"

Me, in a rare moment of clarity: "You won't get anything at all, but you'll give me a great gift."

I left him speechless. SPEECHLESS! This is no small feat with my first born. For once, he couldn't think of retort, a response, a follow-up question, a nuanced alternative, a space for wiggle room.

The room is still a mess, but I finally managed to have the last word. I'm positively giddy.

For a few minutes at least.

* * *

No comments:

Open A Drawer

Today's 15 minute writing exercise, from The Observation Deck: A Tool Kit for Writers , by Naomi Epel ______________________ I thrust my...